Monday, November 21, 2011

Worry

Before I met my husband, I was a compulsive worrier. 

I worried what everyone was doing, how they were doing it, and how that would effect me.  Siblings making pancakes? I had to make sure it was cleaned up.  Coworkers taking a table of 20? I would have to pick up the slack.  Husband going through his weekly cash? I had to make sure he had enough money to eat. Asher not eating his dinner? What if he wastes away to nothing, or worse, what if something is wrong with him?

After I met my husband, I met OTHER WORRIERS.  Lots of them.  And I keep on meeting them especially in my role as a mother.

This is where it has become a blessing. 

You know how the Bible has all kinds of diffenerent verses on now not to worry?:

Matthew 6:34  Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Luke 12:25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his  span of life?

Proverbs 12:25 Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.

Yeah, those.  I didn't listen to those.  Sure wehn I would hear them I would try to pray and give God my worries, but I just ended up thinking about them 5 minutes later.  I wasn't fully grasping the lesson.

Then I realized that worry is life-sucking.  That's right, I'm getting a little dramatic here.  Being around other worriers has made me realize that the act of worrying is draining.  And not just to the person worrying, to everyone around him or her (although, I think by nature it's mostly "her").  It is actually frustrating  to me to be around a serious worrier for a long time because I can actually see what that worry is doing to the person.  It is all-consuming, one worry leads to another, not relying on our Creator to take care of things. 

There is no comforting a serious worrier, nothing I can say or bring up that will dispell these worries and I don't like when I can't fix a problem.  Now, before you get all upset with me, remember? I already admitted I am/was a worrier.  I understand it's a constant battle to turn of that little voice in your head.  But man, does it open up a world of good if you can just TURN IT OFF (I can also tell you that it will drive your husband much less crazy!).

Someone making pancakes in the kitchen? If you clean it up, they never will learn to.  That table of 20? Not your table.  Hubby spending HIS OWN MONEY? Well, that's the point, he can pack a lunch.  Child not eating dinner? Is he happy, growing, pooping and peeing? You're golden.

So go out with someone who worries, and then listen to them.  How do you feel after being with them?  Do you want others to feel the same way or can you do your part to lift someone up instead?  I for one am thankful for the worriers, because I realized what it was doing to my family and that I no longer want to let that worry be in charge.

1 comment:

  1. I think I need to follow in your shoes. I'm known to be a bit of a worrier myself. :)

    ReplyDelete