Sunday, November 6, 2011

Decisions at the kitchen table.

We spend a lot of time at the kitchen table.  Some days we actually get to sit around it 3 meals a day!  Since Asher has been born our mealtime is much shorter and often interrupted by a multitude of things: needing a napkin, more to drink, more to eat, or I usually forget something essential to the meal (gah! I forgot the forks AGAIN!).

My favorite part of mealtimes though is that dinnertime is the one time we get to pray together as a family, and we get to have conversations as a family often catching up on our day.  Well, the hubby and I have conversations, Asher normally doesn't give us more than an "uh-huh" or a sign for "more" at meals.

The past week the conversations have centered around a potential job for the hubby and a potential huge, life-changing move for our young little family.  We've been praying for a new job for Brad for the past 17 months and opened up our search out of state a year ago.  Lately though, when we have these discussions I often look at Asher and think about the fact that we are making these decisions that will in so many ways effect the rest of his life.

I know that Asher won't always think I am the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I know that eventually he will want to listen to his peers and not his parents.  I hope, however, that he will not resent this potential move in his later years.  Now, I have never heard any kid tell their parents "I wish you didn't move us so far away from our grandparents", or "I wish we didn't live in such a cool city AND be on the beach", but the first one gets me.  We know a total of one person where we would be going and they aren't family.  Brad and I have grown up in close proximity to our families, what would growing up have been without them?

I am leaning now only on God to make this decision.  I know that if it is His will, it will happen.  I'm just trying to make my family available for the call.  And maybe Asher's grandparents will want to retire to a different city...

No comments:

Post a Comment