Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Breastfeeding: A Modern Day Miracle

Today at lunch, Asher asked me if I had to eat quickly so that I could start making milk (he was talking about "Judah's milk" or breastfeeding). I informed him that actually, my body makes milk without me even thinking about it.

"Can you feel it?" he asked.

"No" I replied "not when I'm making it".

God has formed my body (from 2 cells, can you believe it??) so that I can feed my child everything it needs, from one substance, that I don't have to even think about. I just eat, drink, and nurse my child. That is it. I don't even know how much my child is eating, did you know that? I have no idea how much milk my child is eating at any given feeding, on any given day. The only thing I know is that he poops, pees, and is growing. That little baby and my body somehow have this silent communication that creates different milks, different amounts, at different times, it's all crazytown.

The "experts" have been trying to recreate breast milk for decades, and they still don't have a perfect match. It will grow a child, which is awesome for so many, but I'm talking about the chemical composition, all of the tiny little ingredients. All this scientific research, and study, and experiment, and still not the same substance.

That's when it hit me what a miracle God has placed in my life on a daily, no, hourly basis. I have been breastfeeding now for 31 months of the last 4.5 years and it's just now occurred to me that I have become completely "numb" to a modern day miracle.

Isn't that what we do? Isn't that what the Israelites did (over, and over, and over...) Don't we get so excited about some major healing, or answered prayers, or some freak accident, or even hear the voice of God (or you know, follow a pillar of smoke/fire around?) and then a day, week, year later forget? Do we even see the everyday miracles surrounding us?

I don't.

What a reminder today.

Modern day miracles, all around me, in my everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment